September 12, 2015

- Remembering 9-11

A m e r i c a  for me
by Henry Van Dyke

The View from Our Front Porch -
The Harrison House



 

'Tis fine to see the Old World, and travel up and down
Among the famous palaces and cities of renown
To admire the crumbly castles and the statues of the kings,
But now I think I've had enough of antiquated things.


 

So it's home again, and home again, America for me!
My heart is turning home again, and there I long to be
In the land of youth and freedom beyond the ocean bars
Where the air is full of sunlight and the flag is full of stars.



 

Oh London is a man's town, there's power in the air
And Paris is a woman's town, with flowers in her hair;
And it's sweet to dream in Venice,
and it's great to study Rome;
But when it comes to living there is no place like home.



 
I like the German fir-woods, in green battalions drilled
I like the gardens of Versailles with flashing fountains filled;
But, oh, to take your hand, my dear, and ramble for a day
In the friendly western woodland where Nature has her way!



 
I know that Europe's wonderful, yet something seems to lack:
The Past is too much with her, and the people looking back.
 But the glory of the Present is to make the Future free,
We love our land for what she is and what she is to be.



 
Oh, it's home again, and home again, America for me!
I want a ship that's westward bound to plough the rolling sea,
To the blessed Land of Room Enough beyond the ocean bars,
Where the air is full of sunlight and the flag is full of stars.

 
- Poem by by Henry Van Dyke
http://www.theholidayzone.com/fourth/poem2.html
 
 
VS [very special] P.S. [postscript]
 
On May 18, 1959
My high school Graduation Day
Patterson High School
Patterson, Georgia
 

As an Honor Student  in my Graduating Class of 1959

This was my Speech/Recitation

America For Me

by Henry Van Dyke

 

 

 
 

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful images Jonell! I especially love the layering on your table. That poem is amazing and I am wondering why I have never heard it before?
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jan I think it' is very old - you can google it and see. While over the years I've always recalled some from memory I had to google it too find the entire poem I I like it too

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful poem, Jonell and I love the pictures you put with it.

    By the way, that picture of my on my sidebar was from about 3 or 4 years ago, so aside from my hair being a tad longer, that's what I look like. Thank you for that huge compliment!

    xo,
    rue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely luv finding notes from readers - like you!

      Delete

This is intended to be an exchange of thoughts, recollections and ideas.
A note /comment from you Makes My Day- I would be honored to have you sign on as a FOLLOWER.